A team of business and tax lawyers at Drummond Woodsum regularly advises nonprofit and tax-exempt clients on a wide range of issues. The firm represents a variety of nonprofits and tax-exempt clients, including some of the largest nonprofit corporations in the state, as well as trade associations, private foundations, political organizations, and a large number of low-income housing organizations and educational institutions. Our lawyers have extensive experience in:
- the formation of tax-exempt entities (including nonprofit corporations, private foundations, and charitable trusts);
- obtaining tax-exempt status under federal and state laws;
- advising boards on corporate governance issues;
- forming joint ventures, and other collaborations, with for-profit entities; and
- addressing all types of operational issues relating to nonprofits including unrelated business income, private benefit, private inurement, executive compensation, regulatory compliance and acquisitions, sales of assets, mergers, and other corporate transactions.
The firm also serves as de facto outside general counsel to a number of its nonprofit and tax-exempt clients, advising on business transactions, employment matters, financings (including tax-exempt financings), property tax exemptions, the formation and operation of for-profit subsidiaries, and other business and commercial matters that arise in the ordinary course of business. Our attorneys also have extensive experience advising nonprofits with respect to lobbying and political campaigning activities, including the formation of 501(c)(4) organizations to facilitate such political activities. As always, the lawyers in our nonprofit and tax-exempt law group are experts in their area of law, efficient, pragmatic, and in this area completely focused on assisting our nonprofit clients to further their goals and mission.
Practice Group Leaders
Business & Corporate