Drummond Woodsum attorneys serve as General Counsel and Special Counsel to colleges and universities throughout the United States.
- Jerry Crouter serves as primary outside counsel to Colby College.
- Jamie Kilbreth and Adrianne Fouts serve as primary outside counsel to Bowdoin College.
- Ann Chapman is a non-lawyer policy and compliance consultant who assists clients with student and employee policies and handbooks; compliance reviews; and training on federal and state laws and regulations that impact colleges and universities. Ann is also an experienced investigator in Title IX cases and all types of student and employee misconduct.
- Allen Kropp specializes in civil rights, special education, and disability law, and works extensively with colleges and universities on staff training, policy development, and resolving discrimination claims. He brings a wealth of experience from several roles within the U.S. Department of Education’s Office of Civil Rights.
- We have direct experience helping colleges and universities with crisis management; organizational and systems reviews and restructuring; and interim student affairs management and staffing.
- We provide comprehensive compliance training on campuses to faculty, staff, and students on a broad array of topics, including but not limited to sexual harassment and misconduct; CLERY Act requirements; FERPA and student records; discrimination laws; employee and student conduct expectations; and many others.
- We serve as outside investigators in Title IX and other student conduct cases.
- We track legal changes and developments closely and work with our clients to ensure compliance in the rapidly changing regulatory environment.
- We provide legal counsel and services in the areas of employment law (including faculty tenure and discrimination claims); student conduct; disability rights; public accommodation discrimination; academic freedom, campus speech, and First Amendment issues; technology and intellectual property; immigration issues; real estate; finance; planned giving; torts and insurance, among others.
Our representative clients include Colby College, Bowdoin College, Tufts University, MIT, New York University and Southern New Hampshire University.
Practice Group Leader
Ann S. Chapman Employment, Policy & Higher Education Consultant
November 15, 2019
September 06, 2016
May 07, 2014