We hire experienced lawyers throughout the year to meet the business needs of individual practice groups. We are committed to helping you build on the skills you have already developed in a welcoming community of dedicated, like-minded professionals. We also offer a highly competitive salary and benefits package, but it is more than just our solid compensation that sets us apart.
As an associate, you will practice law from the day you begin your career with us. You can expect to meet with clients, take and defend depositions, appear in court, and negotiate and close deals. You will continue to develop your legal skills through challenging and interesting work in many areas of law. Should you have an interest in developing a certain area of practice, we encourage you to pursue that interest.
We are a group of people who believe that a satisfying life outside of work is critical. Accordingly, our billable hour goal for associates is 1700 hours per year.
In their own words, this is what our attorneys have to say about practicing at Drummond Woodsum:
- “I want to practice at Drummond Woodsum because the firm offers a collaborative environment, and the attorneys here possess diverse skills such that the firm is positioned to assist with nearly any legal matter you can imagine.” – Ben Plante, Portland, ME
- “Drummond provides the services, collective experience, and support of a large firm which helps me efficiently and effectively do my job, and treats its professionals, staff, and clients each as individually crucial components of the firm’s collective success, creating an ideal atmosphere for the firm to provide impeccable service to its clients. It feels really good to be a part of a firm that operates this way.” – Keri Roman, Manchester, NH
- “The team assembled here is absolutely second to no one; it is an amazing and humbling team to be a part of. Any need that a client may have can very likely be addressed by someone who is extremely competent in that field. This is maybe not so surprising for a firm of this size. What is truly remarkable is how collegial everyone is towards each other and easy to work with.” – Steven Whitley, Manchester, NH
- “Drummond Woodsum is filled with smart, friendly people who are truly inspired by the work that their clients are doing.” – Meghan Glynn, Manchester, NH
- “Drummond Woodsum is a wonderful law firm, full of talented attorneys and non-attorney professionals and staff who practice top notch law, care about their clients and each other, and work together well.” – Laurel McClead, Portland, ME
- “I went to law school believing that “firm life” was not for me. I had previously worked for nonprofit and governmental entities, and I had planned to return to public health policy advocacy upon graduation. However, Drummond set itself apart, proving to be a collegial and supportive environment where attorneys celebrate the success and growth of their coworkers, operate as a team, and work to provide clients with seamless, holistic legal representation and counsel.” – Amy Olfene, Portland, ME
- “I am surrounded by subject matter experts and incredible attorneys and consultants who share my passion for working with schools and are willing to help with any project. I work with kind and compassionate people who are very good at what they do…and we have a lot of fun.” – Jim O’Shaughnessy, Manchester, NH
- “The firm cares about people – its clients, its workforce, and the larger community. Everyone is treated respectfully and is valued; we are a very collaborative group and ensure clients receive the highest quality services from the expert best suited to work on a given matter.” – Allen Kropp, Portland, ME
We are a growing firm, which hires outstanding entry-level lawyers every year. We are also always looking for experienced attorneys with compatible practices to join us. We’re interested in talking with you if you think your experience and client base would be a good fit at the firm. Please contact, in complete confidence, Ben Marcus, Managing Director, Drummond Woodsum, 84 Marginal Way, Suite 600, Portland, Maine 04101.
Drummond Woodsum is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, veteran’s status, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, creed, citizenship status, marital status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. Our Firm’s policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment. To achieve our goal of equal opportunity, Drummond Woodsum maintains an affirmative action plan through which it makes good faith efforts to recruit, hire and advance in employment qualified minorities, females, disabled individuals and covered veterans. EOE M/F/V/D